Sunday's Brisket

Hello Readers!

Sunday dinners have always had a very special and traditional place in my life. Growing up, we would spend Sunday evenings with my Grandparents. They would often come over for dinner. Dinners were a big deal on Sunday. Anything from roast beef to turkey, followed by a yummy stew or even spaghetti and meatballs for my Gramma, as Poppa wasn't a fan.

When I lived in the U.K., the festiveness of Sunday Roasts continued. Mr. P is a master of Sunday Roasts. The traditional roast includes your meat of choice, roasted potatoes, veggies (usually one green and one other colour) and of course Yorkshire puddings! It was of course no exception for us to continue having roast dinners on Sundays when we lived together and continue to in Canada.

The tradition continues to grow in my own family. Every Sunday we now go to my parents' home for dinner. We continue to have turkey, steak or even that spaghetti and meatballs (not a Mr.P choice). The importance of spending time together carries on. Today, my Dad was feeling a little under the weather. My Mom was humming and hawing about what to do with this rather large hunk of beef. So I offered to take the meat by the beef and I made slow-cooked brisket!

The brisket was a hit! Since I am doing Keto and am trying to stay in Ketosis, it was important that I made the rub and BBQ sauce as keto-friendly as possible. I am very proud to say the I was able to keep it that way and only use 3 tablespoons of honey in the sauce.

So, without further or due, I give you Sunday's Brisket:



You'll Need:


5-10 lbs of beef ( I used top sirloin)

Sauce:

1 cup of apple cider vinegar
2 cups of ketchup (sugar free to make it Keto)
4 tbsp of Frank's Red Hot Sauce
3 cloves of garlic, diced
3 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp black pepper
3 tbsp worcestershire sauce

Rub

1/4 cup dry mustard powder
3 tbsp steak or beef spice mix
4 tbsp of cayenne pepper
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp of paprika

1/2 red onion ( put in surrounding the beef once it's in the slow cooker)

Steps:

Marinate your meat in the rub


Meat is in rub. You can leave
it overnight in the fridge to
allow more flavour.
I use a cookie sheet to make the mess as minimal as possible 













Put meat in the slow cooker and set aside 

Mix your sauce in a mixing bowl


Pour sauce over the meat 


Turn on slow cooker to high for 4-5 hours (depending how pink you like your meat)

Take meat out and place onto roasting pan

Place in the oven and bake at 375 Fahrenheit for 25 minutes 

While meat cooks, take the sauce and pour into a saucepan 




Bring sauce to a boil and allow to thicken 

Once it starts thickening, turn down and keep on a low simmer 

Strain the sauce to remove garlic and onions

Place strained sauce back on high heat to thicken further 



Pour sauce over the brisket


Add remaining sauce to a gravy boat or bowl to serve 

Bake meat for an additional 20 minutes, allowing the meat to caramelize

Serve with salad, buns, or eat alone! 



         




Overall it was a hit with my family! It was good because it was very filling and even though it had a hint of a honey I was still able to stay within my carb limit and not break my ketosis. 

Let me know how you like it and if you try this out!

Happy "brisketing" from kitchen to yours,

Mrs. P. xoxo 

Comments

Popular Posts