Polka Dots Are the Perfect Accessory

Hello Readers!

So I have recently been baking up a storm. Previously I have shared some of the Christmas cakes I made and was trained in whilst living in the U.K. I absolutely loved my experiences of learning to work with gum paste and fondant. I took classes for 12 weeks with a very good friend of mine. We took it for something fun to do and relax after work.

After having Lil'P last August ( I can't believe she is almost 1!!) I decided to take a buttercream class with my mom. We took that also so I would get out of the house one night a week and practice something I love. I love to decorate cakes for people. I love to see their faces when they see them for the first time. It truly brings me so much joy when I see how happy they are when their idea comes to life. 

This past weekend I was asked to create a cake for a little lady turning one. I was nervous because I wanted to be sure I could create something that the family was looking for. The cake was two tiers- one buttercream one fondant. I was automatically more comfortable with the fondant because it's something I have more experience with. I love to create anything from fondant or gum paste. 
Buttercream always scares me. It's something that I am still learning with and I just don't ever know what's going to happen. 

Buttercream is a funny thing- it all comes down to the ingredients and the temperature it's been created in. Would the kitchen be too warm? Would the butter be the right temperature? Would my hands be too warm when it comes time to pipe? It may sound silly but they all impact the final product. 

So to start: The rolling of the fondant and placing it on the cake

Perfect. 

My trick is always to roll out the fondant at least 5 inches bigger than your cake. Then it will for sure cover the entire surface.

Next was mapping out my polka dots. I always poke small holes so I can mark where they'll go. 

Perfect. 




















Next was the cake topper:

These are always my favourite creation of the cake. They always stand out and look incredible. 

The secret: Corn/golden syrup. It allows everything to stick

Cake problem #1: It always takes more than one attempt and the first is always the best! It took me 4 tries to get it perfect and hold together. I ended up doing two layers. 

But, in the end it was perfect: 




















So before I knew it my top tier was complete:




















The only thing missing was the big bow, that was completed last as it was to dangle over the ruffles of buttercream. 

So... the buttercream...

Well thanks to my amazing mom she helped me out massively and mixed a beautiful batch if buttercream.

Here was the completed cake:




















I was so happy with how it turned out.

When the family came to pick up the cake they were over the moon! This brought so much happiness to my heart because I was able to bring their idea to life. 

1 is a big milestone. It's a milestone for the baby no doubt but also for their parents. It means they have made it through many firsts together and the biggest of all to date. 

 I was told the cake was delicious and that everyone loved the sugar cookies I made to accompany them:


I am so thrilled that everything turned out just as they wanted. Wishing their little one many years of firsts and happy firsts. 

I have created a new e-mail for questions, comments or feedback. I  can be reached at: mrspricesplate@gmail.com

Thanks for reading and happy baking,
Lisa xx

*Please note: I am not a professional chef/baker, nor here to plug any companies, chefs, chains etc. I am a pleasantly plump woman who has a fierce love of feeding myself, husband, and anyone who loves to eat!





Comments

Popular Posts