( Almost from Scratch) Enchilada Monday's

Hello Readers!

Thanks so much for coming back to see my next recipe. I bore Mr. P with all my chicken dishes, so we moved onto beef.


I am not a huge beef eater however, Mr. P loves it more than life itself.


This dish was a Mrs. P-twist-on-a-Taco Tuesday-that-moved-to-Monday-since-we-were- twisting-things-around-anyways.


I decided we needed something a little more hearty to go with our every week taco dish. So I give you, my (almost from scratch) enchiladas.



Here is what you need:

1 lb minced beef (I used extra lean)
Spanish rice (I used Uncle Ben's)
1-2 tomatoes
1 lime
3 leaves of Coriander (cilantro)
1 jalapeno (optional)
1/2 medium red onion
2-4 tbsp of Tabasco sauce
6 tortillas
Taco Mix
500 ml of sour cream
1/4 cup of flour
3 tbsp of butter
1 can of chilies (I like El Paso's chilies, they're on the shelf where you find other Tex Mex food, usually next to the beans)
1 bag of nacho cheese/ Tex Mex cheese
9x13 pan
non-stick spray


*If you would like to make your own I do this:


1 Tbsp of chili powder (depending on your spice level modify)

1 Tsp of minced garlic
1-2 Tsp of onion (or onion powder)
2 Tbsp of cumin
2 Tbsp of Paprika
pinch of salt

Blend spices together in a bowl.



Here's what you do:


Start by browning the meat in a saucepan or skillet


Pre-heat oven to 350 Fahrenheit


Boil rice (follow instructions on the box if you are not a stellar rice maker like me 😊


Drain fat off meat and add taco spices


Allow meat to simmer with spices on low


In a frying pan, add butter


Once butter is melted, slowly stir in flour so it thickens and creates a roux:























Next add in sour cream and chilies. Simmer on low and keep stirring so it all blends together and doesn't clump or separate:























Add in a handful of the cheese and stir in until melted:























Once your sauce and taco are blended they should look a little something like this:























Now make your Pico de Gallo


Chop tomatoes, onions, jalapeno and coriander


Mix together in a bowl and squeeze lime on top


 Continue to mix so juice is blended


Next spray a 9 x13 pan


Take a little of the sauce and spread across the bottom of the pan:




Then take 2 tsp of rice and spread in a line across the tortilla shell 

Do the same with the taco meat and add a handful of the cheese:

Roll the shell like a Burrito and add to the pan:

After you roll all your tortilla's your pan should look like this:

Add the remaining sauce on top of the rolls: 


Add the remaining cheese and pour on your pico de gallo in a line over the cheese:

Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes and you'll have this: 













Allow to cool before serving.

So there you have it- an almost from scratch enchilada recipe. One day I will attempt making my own tortillas. 


Mr. P's comments: "They're very good, I like them a lot. Better than the Old El Paso Enchilada Kit."

Special Guest, Mr. M (My Dad): "We had your enchiladas for lunch today, they were very good. Could you please make them next week when you're home."

Little P: "mum, mum, mum Eeeeek!" translated to "I like Spanish rice and cottage cheese Mumma"

Thank you for reading and please don't forget to vote for a future blog post, found at the top of the page on the left hand side. 

Have a great week,

Mrs. P xx

*Please note: I am not a professional chef/baker, nor here to plug any companies, chefs, chains etc. I am a pleasantly plump woman who has a fierce love of feeding myself, husband, and anyone who loves to eat!

Comments

Popular Posts