A weekly classic made best by Dad

Hello Readers,

Happy Friday, or FriYAY! Hope you all have a wonderful day today.

Tonight we have company coming for dinner. Seeing as winter is upon our doorsteps, which here in merry old England means blustery winds, wet days and nights, and the cold that hits you straight through to the bone, I rely heavily on my crockpot.

So tonight for dinner I thought I would make one of my favourites, spaghetti and meatballs! When we were growing up, we had spaghetti once a week. We always had something every night between the three kids in the house. My dad was often the one home from work first and we often ate and ran out to our evening activities. Spaghetti was a staple item as it was always quick, filling, and affordable!

Meatballs were a special treat as they always took a bit more time to cook. When my dad cooks, even to this day, he always does it with enthusiasm and humour. He likes to use theatrics to demonstrate his cooking skills.

I first learned to make meatballs when I was about 7. Of course I wasn't allowed to use the stove, but I did help mix and make the balls to help him out in the kitchen.

As I grew up, I would sometimes put dinner for the family. I would often lean towards this recipe as it is something simple, but I absolutely love to make.

So without further or do, here is my Dad's spaghetti and meatball recipe, that I, as per usual, have put my own twist on:

Meatballs:

500g of hamburger minced ( I like to use extra lean)
Italian breadcrumbs
oregano
basil
parsley
garlic
chili flakes (optional)
1 egg
garlic granules
parmesan cheese

Mix all the ingredients into the bowl with hamburger. Then take approximately a tablespoon size of the mixture and roll together.



Sauce:

2-3 cans Chopped tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
1 chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 red, green,yellow pepper
Red wine ( personally, I feel the more the better, but it's up to you)
OXO Red wine flavour pot

I like to blend it all in the blender to thicken and smooth everything.



Or... you can use 2 jars or store brand sauce!

Method:

Pour some of the sauce or 1 jar into the bottom of the slow cooker

Spread the meatballs throughout the slow cooker

Pour the remaining sauce or another jar into the slow cooker.

I like to pour on more wine for good luck and of course sweeter flavour.

Cook on low for 6-7 hours.



As for the spaghetti, I personally love the pre-made pasta that you find in the fridge section. It only takes 5 minutes in the pot.

So, there you have it! Spaghetti and meatballs, a Marshall family classic for the inner-Italian that lives inside my father!

Mr. P's corner: special guests Mr and Mrs. S: 
Mr. P: 

Have a wonderful weekend!

Thanks for reading!
Lisa xx


*Please note: I am not a professional chef/baker, nor here to plug any companies, chefs, chains etc. I am a pleasantly plump woman who has a fierce love of feeding myself, husband, and anyone who loves to eat!

Comments

Popular Posts