Trick or treat part II

Hello readers and Happy Halloween! 

I hope you all are having a smashing day and have a wonderful time this evening.

Growing up in our house, holidays were always heavily celebrated. Halloween was a fairly big occasion as my brother, sister and I always enjoyed getting into costume and going trick or treating:

Circa: 1997 (mainly to embarrass the younger two)

So, as you can see we were excited and ready to take on our neighbourhood! However, before we started out on the trek it was important to have a hearty meal, especially if it was cold. 

Often, we had homemade macaroni and cheese:

1. It is quick to make
2. You can freeze it
3. Child friendly
4. Inexpensive 

To this day, it is one of my favourite recipes that my mom and dad still make. 

So as per tradition, we are having this for dinner tonight. So here's what I did:

1 package of pasta shells 
2.5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg
1.5 cups of 2% milk
2 tablespoons of melted butter

Extra shredded cheese for the top
Salt and pepper for good luck! 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees or 175 Celsius.

Spray your casserole dish before pouring in mixture.

Mix butter mixture and milk together with egg. Whisk together.

Add in cheese.

Boil the pasta until it is half cooked. 

Pour pasta into the casserole dish and add cheese mixture. Stir together.

Add cheese to the top and pop into the oven for 35 minutes.


Mr P's comments: "you need something with it, it's not a whole dinner. You need a meat. I don't get it. But it's delicious"

Side Note: we always ate it with bread but usually on its own. Do others eat it alone? Comment below.

There you have it, two different Halloween recipes that fun to make, child friendly and made on a budget! 


Happy haunting and thanks for reading,
Lisa xx

*Please note: I am by no means a professional and will not be plugging any companies or chefs/bakers. I am a pleasantly plump woman with a fierce appetite of feeding myself, husband, and well, anyone who likes to eat!

Comments

  1. In my family, we had the home made macaroni and cheese with leftover cold roast beef

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts