Trick or treat part I


Happy Halloween readers!

I hope you all are having a wonderful evening/day and most of all, a "spooktacular" time!

So this week I will be sharing two recipes with you: the first is the one I am posting below, Halloween sugar cookies! This week I thought I would combine my cake class skills with my love of cookies to make some themes cookies. If you have little ones at home, this is definitely something that is fun for them to do and easy to decorate. 
The second recipe to follow is a family tradition we had every Halloween; macaroni and cheese! 

Okay, so more about the cookies. I made a sugar cookie recipe that I love to use around all holidays:

2 cups of butter (softened) 
3.5 cups of all-purpose flour
2.5 cups of granulated sugar
1.5 teaspoons of vanilla
1.5 teaspoons of baking powder
2 eggs 
A pinch of salt for good luck! 


Blend the butter and sugar together until it is creamy (almost looks like buttercream)

Then add the egg and vanilla and continue to blend for 2 minutes.

Add the dry ingredients into the mixture and wait for it turn into a dough.

Now you're going to take the dough mixture and begin to roll out in icing sugar and granulated sugar.

Use a cutter of any size or pattern, in this instance I used a mixture of cookie cutters to get the shape I wanted. You want to make sure the dough is rolled out to 2-3 cm so your cookies don't burn.


Heat your oven to 350 degrees or 190 degrees (depending on your oven) and bake for 11-18 minutes. 

Now for the icing:

I cheated this week and used icing sugar to make a runny royal icing. I did however make my own food colouring by using colour paste. I used melon and Christmas red (thanks Sue! Xxx) and made an orange. 

After, I took my ready to roll fondant and using the same colours, mixed a different shade of orange:


I then used a different size cookie cutter to cut the shape of my pumpkins. 
Once that was finished I then made a black paint blending violet and navy blue together with the smallest amount of vodka (to make the paste watery to paint).

Then I used different paint brushes to paint and decorate my fondant. On some of them I finished with edible glitter to give a magical effect:



Once it was all finished and plated I sprinkled popping candy (for crackle), dried raspberries (blood) and salted caramel (ground) to give a spooky effect:


And there you have it! Halloween sugar cookies! 





On to the next one! 

Mr. P's comments: "they were nice, kind of like shortbread. I liked them"

Thanks for reading and happy baking! 

Lisa xx


*Please note: I am by no means a professional and will not be plugging any companies or chefs/bakers. I am a pleasantly plump woman with a fierce appetite of feeding myself, husband, and well, anyone who likes to eat!

Comments

Popular Posts